Monday, November 30, 2015

Calmness in activity

Calmness of mind does not mean you should stop your activity.  Real calmness should be found in activity itself.  We say, "It is easy to have calmness in inactivity, it is hard to have calmness in activity, but calmness in activity is true calmness."

I do not feel like speaking after zazen.  I feel the practice of zazen is enough.  But if I must say something I think I would like to talk about how wonderful it is to practice zazen.  Our practice is just to keep this practice forever.  This practice started from beginningless time, and it will continue into an endless future.  Strictly speaking, for a human being there is no other practice than this practice.  There is no other way of life than this way of life.  Zen practice is the direct expression of our true nature.

-- from Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki p. 46-47