Tuesday, December 6, 2011

neti, neti, neti

- yogic sense-withdrawl technique

["I am not this thought; I am not that thought; I am not thought." Insofar as you do not identify yourself with the stream of thoughts, you begin to realize the real you, the atma. This process is so simple to describe, so difficult to do, so important to master. You will realize through this procedure, while watching your thoughts, that they are not really you. This technique should be practiced for five minutes a day for three to nine weeks. It would be helpful to practice it for the rest of your life. You will, however, find major benefits within weeks, if not days.

This technique breaks the illusion, "I am the body," and "I am that which my mind thinks (I am)."]

- Goswami Kriyananda
from The Spiritual Science of Kriya Yoga